salience
August 25, 2002
I just got back from the BCMB cruise. What a fun time.
Things are crazy this year. I can remember last year being all star struck by the larger stadium, the astro turf, the band room, Dave's intensity (our marching director) and conducting style, and especially the people. Now, I can't imagine being a part of any other musical group when it comes to marching. It's better than things were in high school band because there is more unity. Sure, everyone has their cliques, it is bound to happen and can't be avoided, but there is no drama.
Well, I take that back. There is planned drama.
Every year, on the fourth day of camp, our current e board (short for executive board, basically elected leaders) plan Assassin. It's a game where everyone in the band gets paired with someone else. Each person gets the name of another member and has to 'kill' them by hugging them. It's a great ice breaker and helps build unity. The main part of the game lasts only about two days. Right now, the game is down from 180 members to only 4, and factions have formed: who is protecting whom and what not. :) It's a great thing to take part in and watch because you are only safe in the band room, during rehearsal or any band organized activity. The dining halls, hall ways and even elevators are all fair game. As you can imagine, it causes quite a stir with the others around campus, seeing a huge mass of people chasing after each other saying, "aw c'mon! I just want a hug!!"
Our show is coming along great: in all six years of being a part of a marching band, this show is definitely the most physically demanding. In one transition (we are playing Carmen for our first show btw) I cover 60 yards in 12 seconds. I have even timed it, that is how often we go over it. We have the whole show on the field, and now we are just cleaning it. I love it. I really do. Not to mention I am getting a great tan! :)
Plus, we played Amazing Grace, our band's song, and it sounded beautiful. I love watching Dave conduct. He gets so into it; you just can't help but be affected.
At the end of any dance we have, we get the DJs to play "Piano Man" by Billy Joel and we form two circles: a small one for all current seniors, and a larger one around them with all other members. Everyone puts their arms around everyone else and belts out the song from beginning to end. It's a sort of tribute to the seniors and to thank them for sticking with it for four years.
It is great! Very fulfilling.
I am very content right now. For a number of reasons. ;)
Things are crazy this year. I can remember last year being all star struck by the larger stadium, the astro turf, the band room, Dave's intensity (our marching director) and conducting style, and especially the people. Now, I can't imagine being a part of any other musical group when it comes to marching. It's better than things were in high school band because there is more unity. Sure, everyone has their cliques, it is bound to happen and can't be avoided, but there is no drama.
Well, I take that back. There is planned drama.
Every year, on the fourth day of camp, our current e board (short for executive board, basically elected leaders) plan Assassin. It's a game where everyone in the band gets paired with someone else. Each person gets the name of another member and has to 'kill' them by hugging them. It's a great ice breaker and helps build unity. The main part of the game lasts only about two days. Right now, the game is down from 180 members to only 4, and factions have formed: who is protecting whom and what not. :) It's a great thing to take part in and watch because you are only safe in the band room, during rehearsal or any band organized activity. The dining halls, hall ways and even elevators are all fair game. As you can imagine, it causes quite a stir with the others around campus, seeing a huge mass of people chasing after each other saying, "aw c'mon! I just want a hug!!"
Our show is coming along great: in all six years of being a part of a marching band, this show is definitely the most physically demanding. In one transition (we are playing Carmen for our first show btw) I cover 60 yards in 12 seconds. I have even timed it, that is how often we go over it. We have the whole show on the field, and now we are just cleaning it. I love it. I really do. Not to mention I am getting a great tan! :)
Plus, we played Amazing Grace, our band's song, and it sounded beautiful. I love watching Dave conduct. He gets so into it; you just can't help but be affected.
At the end of any dance we have, we get the DJs to play "Piano Man" by Billy Joel and we form two circles: a small one for all current seniors, and a larger one around them with all other members. Everyone puts their arms around everyone else and belts out the song from beginning to end. It's a sort of tribute to the seniors and to thank them for sticking with it for four years.
It is great! Very fulfilling.
I am very content right now. For a number of reasons. ;)
lasaliente, 23:53


