salience
September 25, 2002
I just got back from my MS II class (MS: military science).
I am always in a great mood after this class. I think it's a combination of a great facilitator and great people. There is a total of ten people in it and we always have a good time. I'm the only one who started late, so at first it was kinda awkward. The other nine were together all throughout classes, pt, and ftx's last year and have already bonded and what not. But they are so accepting. I'm included in everything, and I already feel like part of the family.
At the end of the day, I keep coming back to the realization that AFROTC is nothing like SROTC. I honestly didn't think there were going to be too many differences. I am not sure if it was just my particular detachment at BU (DET 355 if anyone is interested) or what, but it is like night and day. Although, I did know our group at BC would be different because it is so small. There are only 39 of us. At BU there was a total of 97 last year and it is so hard to get close to that many people. This may be a biased statement, and I am not trying to make any generalizations (ahem! Michelle's friend!), but I think the type of people in SROTC are completely different from those in AFROTC. Which makes sense; the organizations are complete polar opposites, training cadets to do completely different missions.
What I like too is my doing SROTC has brought my dad and I closer. I will vent one amazing experience to him after another and he will tell me stories. I love hearing stories...they tell so much about a person. Plus, I get insight on how my dad was when we was 19. There are only two types of people in SROTC and now I can look at my peers and point out which one is like my dad. It's fun. :) And so very satisfying.
I have countless memories of 'doing' pt with my dad, trying my best to do situps with him, or pushups, or even riding my bike behind him as he ran his 6 miles every day during crunch APFT time. I respect(ed) him so much, and now to be doing what he did is astounding. He and I talked about me going to Airborne school after Advanced Camp and even how he wants to pin my bars on when I get commissioned as a second lieutenant in two and a half years.
I like the security I have found.
I like the tradition I am continuing.
I am always in a great mood after this class. I think it's a combination of a great facilitator and great people. There is a total of ten people in it and we always have a good time. I'm the only one who started late, so at first it was kinda awkward. The other nine were together all throughout classes, pt, and ftx's last year and have already bonded and what not. But they are so accepting. I'm included in everything, and I already feel like part of the family.
At the end of the day, I keep coming back to the realization that AFROTC is nothing like SROTC. I honestly didn't think there were going to be too many differences. I am not sure if it was just my particular detachment at BU (DET 355 if anyone is interested) or what, but it is like night and day. Although, I did know our group at BC would be different because it is so small. There are only 39 of us. At BU there was a total of 97 last year and it is so hard to get close to that many people. This may be a biased statement, and I am not trying to make any generalizations (ahem! Michelle's friend!), but I think the type of people in SROTC are completely different from those in AFROTC. Which makes sense; the organizations are complete polar opposites, training cadets to do completely different missions.
What I like too is my doing SROTC has brought my dad and I closer. I will vent one amazing experience to him after another and he will tell me stories. I love hearing stories...they tell so much about a person. Plus, I get insight on how my dad was when we was 19. There are only two types of people in SROTC and now I can look at my peers and point out which one is like my dad. It's fun. :) And so very satisfying.
I have countless memories of 'doing' pt with my dad, trying my best to do situps with him, or pushups, or even riding my bike behind him as he ran his 6 miles every day during crunch APFT time. I respect(ed) him so much, and now to be doing what he did is astounding. He and I talked about me going to Airborne school after Advanced Camp and even how he wants to pin my bars on when I get commissioned as a second lieutenant in two and a half years.
I like the security I have found.
I like the tradition I am continuing.
lasaliente, 21:27


