salience

January 15, 2003

As I was walking back from class this morning, I went through McElroy to get out of the negative eighteen million degree weather. Out of nowhere I saw my man, Manuel! He's one of the mail room guys--you know, the cute, 53 year old Puerto Rican one. Yeah, that one! :) He's a really cool guy. It all started when I got a package last year from the parentals. Manuel was at the mail window, asked me for my package slip and ID, read my name, and asked if I spoke spanish. I answered, "Como no, varon! Soy solo un poquito de gringita!" and smiled. From the on, getting mail is a fun time with him. Last year, I had to repaint my ceiling after getting slammed by housing for a glow-in-the-dark star the dad helped me paint up there. I told Manuel about it, after the fact, and he said, "Man, girl! You should of told me! I coulda hooked you up with some help from the cleaning staff! But no! You had to go and be all independent!" Hehehehe. We had fun times making fun of the typical BC girls last year, in spanish of course, when I went to get my mail. I hadn't seen him much this year, so it was a nice surprise. We caught up, I got the update on his familia, and he wanted to know how classes were going. ("Oh real well, cause it's the third day and all...") He's one of those guys who make me feel at home here. A familiar face who makes me smile.
lasaliente, 13:57

0 Comments:

Add a comment