salience

March 31, 2003

What a weekend!!!

1. Friday: last leadership training session with Dave for marching band. Although it was an interesting forum, near the end too many personal feelings were unleashed. Instead of sorting through potential issues for the upcoming year, the session turned into a bitch and moan frenzy. It's great that kids are so into the group and take things so personally, but issues were brought up that should remain between the director and student. Some privacy, please.

Anna's sister came up for her birthday. She is really sweet, basically an older Anna. :)
Natalie's sister came up for the weekend. She's a senior in high school. What can I say? A younger, doll version of Natalie.

Later that night was the AHANA ball. AHANA is the minority group on campus, and this ball is one of the biggest dances of the year. They bused all of us downtown to a really nice hotel. Lots of kids, and it was pointed out how odd it was that even at a minority function, dark hair only slightly outnumbered blonde hair. :) I guess it makes sense, the ball being a BC event and all--you just can't get away from all the blonde hair, whether natural or altered. All in all it was a fun time. I had a blast dancing with the girls, especially when the dj played tons of my man Michael and then, (drum roll please!!) who would have guessed??, Prince!!! ;) I was elated, to say the least. Flora was so funny, saying, "Wow!! Two of your boyfriends!!! In a row!!!!!!!!!!!" And it must be said, Prince has officially, after much protesting by Kirsten, made THE LIST! Hehe, sorry girl. But you can't deny, he's got it going on, even if he is vertically challenged.

2. Saturday: We spent the day mostly recovering from the night before. Flora, Michelle, and I spent over an hour watching kids in the Eagle's Nest after brunch. Sometimes, it's just too much fun, making fun of people we don't even know. Lately, I've noticed I feel older than the other kids on upper campus look. The majority of them are freshmen, and there isn't much of an age gap at all. But there is a difference, trust me, maybe it just feels monumental. It's like, these kids are trying to continue high school, so we watch them play their games, and shake our heads. 'Cause really, when it comes down to it, that's not what we're about, y'know?

We came back to the room, and it was lounge time. I had to fix my abused, cheap pants. They apparently were mangled Friday night: I had lost the hem from the right leg!! As I stitched that up, Flora started with the shirts. (You see, we are all LOTR fanatics, even more so now, since we feed off of each other. So... Flora had this great idea of making shirts, since we all have favorite characters. Many online photo albums later, we all had pictures, and then came up with little sayings to go with each one. Flora even came up with this cute idea of putting our initials on one of the Elven brooches for the back of the shirts!!! How original is that?! Flora and Michelle fixed up the pictures in Paint and PhotoShop, Flora got the special paper, and Kirsten printed out the pictures. See, after a fortunate weekend when Kirsten's dad and brother came to visit, we had the opportunity of going to Target, so we already had the shirts. So it was all set. We were going to surprise Anna for her birthday with her shirt with all of us wearing our shirts.) With Anna's sister in town, they were out and about, so it was just the four of us--perfect timing!

So picture it: me in my chair sewing up my pants, Flora next to me, ironing the prints onto the shirts!! So domestic, right? Michelle even took a picture of us! So silly! After ironing the brooches on the back of the shirts, Michelle wanted to iron on the big prints, so she and Flora switched. About an hour later, I was still trying to fix my pants, since I'm oh-so-coordinated and dropped Michelle's needle!! Michelle was still ironing to make sure the entire print was on the shirt, and Kirsten and Flora were bored out of their minds, waiting for us to finish, so we could watch Made. Michelle got to the last shirt, and she goes "Shit!" The whole time we were joking about how funny it would be if she messed up and the pictures were crooked: all of that effort for nothing. Well, wouldn't you know it, it was my shirt she messed up, Aragorn all lopsided. I mean, he just isn't as breathtaking when one is distracted with the placement of his picture!! So I got all upset, still trying to stitch up my pants, and Michelle felt all terrible. Flora and Kirsten were trying to console Michelle, saying it didn't look that bad. We watched the movie, and then it was time for Michelle and I to get ready for the band banquet.

And everything was going to be okay. Michelle and I got all dressed and spiffed up, and headed down to Lower. Well, wouldn't you know it? The humidity was insane and so our hair was completely assaulted by the time we got down there. No fun. The actual banquet itself wasn't bad. The only thing was this year, Seb opened it up to the entire bands program, which didn't go over so well with the marching band--'cause you know, we don't want to party with anyone else except us. So, not many kids showed up. There were only about 100. But, it was a good time. Speeches were, for the most part, short and concise. The food was good. And then the dance: this is the part of the night where everyone except for about 30 of us left!! Man, kinda sad, y'know?

But it was all good. We had fun, even when it was pouring rain when we left.

We got back to the room, and Flora was decorating balloons for Anna's door. Anna was still out with her sister, but it almost midnight, technically her birthday, so we all decorated her door. We planned to give her the shirt that night, but we were all tired, and Anna was asleep, so it didn't work out.

3. Sunday: pretty much a lazy day. After my shower, I come back to the room to find Michelle bolting out the door. She grabbed a map, her sweatshirt and purse, muttered something about an errand, and out the door she went. I was just like, okay---what the hell is going on? So, it was just me in the room...very sad and lonely, doing work and waiting for her to get back. At about 4, in comes Michelle, soaking wet, with a Target bag in her hand. She had WALKED all the way to Target, about 3 miles, in the pouring rain, to buy me another shirt, to fix what happened the day before!! She said she didn't want to say anything to me 'cause she knew I would just say forget about it, even though it upset me. Hehe, she's so sweet. :) Flora made me another shirt, but unfortunately, I had leadership training for concert band, so I couldn't be there when they gave Anna her shirt. But she liked it, and it all turned out okay.

So, the morale of the story is: life is so great when one has the most wonderful friends!!

lasaliente, 13:44

0 Comments:

Add a comment