salience

June 18, 2003

So we leave for South Bend tomorrow. La mama and I are using our free tickets to fly into Chicago, where my papi and twins will be waiting to pick us up. From there, we'll drive back to Notre Dame. La mama is really nervous about flying. She has never had to get to the airport on her own, and even though I will be with her, she will not relax. I don't understand it, it's not like I've travelled back and forth between Boston a ton of times or anything. Besides, if anyone tries anything, I know I can get his ass on the ground, I only need 12 seconds. I mean, I'm a black belt who had to learn Army maneuvers for goodness sake. I'm confident everything will be fine. ...we've decided to take Marta, to avoid having to drive all the way down there after the drive from Indiana on Sunday, as I will need my car to drive to work Monday morning. I figure just driving down to the Marta station to pick up the car is a ton better than the alternative.

My brother is really nervous. He and Sunshine (his best friend from football, a kid from CA) are going in together, and they were about to piss their pants just getting into the van to drive up there yesterday. El papi called last night, to tell us he had made it all the way to Louisville, KY. I got to talk to the twins, who were making a big fuss over being in my "home town," which was only for eight months, by the way. It's an ongoing joke that I'm the only child of my parents not born in San Antonio. Supposedly that is why I have a different skin tone from the rest of the kids, something about that "southern country" atmosphere... or that skunk la mama had to battle in the parking lot of the KY hospital, but that is another story all together.

I talked to Lorenzo last night, and he was so hyper--I'm sure Sunshine being there had at least something to do with it. He is so psyched to finally be meeting the original BA himself (read: Tyrone Willingham, coach for ND football). It's going to be a tough few days for him, I'm sure they're going to run all over these kids. But, that's what it's all about, right? And honestly, the coaches could have the guys playing hopscotch. No matter what the coaches actually say, the boys will be falling over themselves to get it done.

So today is technically Friday for me. It looks like I'm missing a fun two days though, here at work. Tomorrow, Angela and Tom (Angela's boss, the ND guy) have planned a trip to Greenville, to one of the sites. Not really all that interesting, but I'm sure it'll be a fun time. Friday has been declared a holiday after one, due to all the stress around here. (People have been sleeping under their desks, taking showers at the truck stop and whatnot, to get things done for the second release of ABE. Y-u-c-k.)

Things at work have been a ton of fun lately. Between being a complete fool with Angela (e.g. chair races down the hall) and meeting all of the FMP interms(Financial Management Program--the really high speed guys who are all seniors), things are definitely amusing. All of the FMP guys (well, there are 2 girls) live together (the girls in their own suite, obviously) and are hilarious. We all eat lunch together (a group of about 17) and we end up causing a scene in any place we go. Some of the guys are trying to organize a huge intern party, it's rumoured that there are about 68 interns here, through all of the programs, so that could be fun.

I have a ton of things to do before we leave tomorrow, and it doesn't help that Dave (marching band director) has sent out emails to me and Ronan (the tenor sax section leader, aka my MAN steve roNAN, although not really), saying that we are behind the rest of the sections went it comes to recruiting. 'Course, I was expecting his emails, but it doesn't change the fact that I am going to have to make time (read: not sleep) to get 8 more kids to join my section, by the end of the week. It's going to be hard to coordinate it all, but I figure if I take my cell phone, I can make a ton of calls during the trip (woohoo for national minutes).

Things with my querido are clearing up. We have been the definition of miscommunication, or complete lack thereof, as well as self-consumed. We both are so wrapped up in our jobs and what we have to get done, that we take each other for granted. Not only do we never see each other, we don't ever talk. Yeah, talk about a surprise. I did not expect to come home to GA and not at least talk to him more than when I'm at school:

Yesterday I was driving home and was generally pissed when I thought of the whole situation.
::I set my cd player for track 6.::

Then my phone rings and it's him, of course. We are both upset and he hangs up on me.
::bamf... turn the volume up on that track!!::

I call him back and things are no better; we both hang up.
::dammit!! just a little louder now... thank you::

He calls me back and apologizes and I say I understand. We both say we'll work to make things better.
::just kidding... girl, change that track to 5!! Don't be a fool!! Let's take a "Long Walk" with Jill, already!!::

...and that was the song I listened to the whole rest of my drive home. :)
lasaliente, 08:48

0 Comments:

Add a comment