salience

September 24, 2003

1. The monsoon of the year was today. It was pure insanity. I had decided to make a run to cvs right before the first downpour, thinking I could beat: Mother. Nature. Was I ever wrong. I got caught in the inundation, but I was able to watch the plex parking lot flood (they never hooked up the draining system after renovations apparently), as well as many a scantily clad BC girl run for cover. Entertaining, yes.

2. On the way to marching band rehearsal tonight I saw Captain Tashiro. He hailed me from across the draining plex parking lot, his Jeep a casualty of the flooding. We caught up--he wanted to know all about marching band, how Sara Hathaway (former assistant director of bands) had run off and gotten married to a Navy bloke, my summer at GE, classes and life in general; I got to hear all about his huge family gathering for Thanksgiving, his mother being diagnosed and dying of cancer, him deciding to stay with the rotc program, all of the new cadets, the changes in the program at BC and Sgt. Carter's retirement (he's now a manager at Wal-Mart-it suits him, oddly enough). It was nice, going back in time a little.

3. La mama gets into town tomorrow. I'm running off to the airport after classes. Contrary to the generic post-teen reaction, I am looking forward to her visit. She'll get to see BC as it really is, before and after the Parents' Weekend hoopla, the BC that I know.
lasaliente, 02:10

0 Comments:

Add a comment