salience
September 8, 2003
It's happening again. I'm feeling a little out of place, focused against a hazy background. It's not one thing in particular, really. More like a combination of events, conversations, epiphanies.
Reality is coinciding with those Saved By The Bell: The College Years illusions of intellectual grandeur:
I am living up suite life.
I'm studying subjects which interest me under the guidance of respectable, accomplished individuals.
Yeah, that's me arguing politics with friends in Starbucks.
It's all very new and comfortable at the same time.
Tonight was our first concert band rehearsal. We are up to almost 70 members now, which is quite a change from freshman year. It's exciting, holding influence in a group that is evolving, improving. Even though the majority of us were sight reading, the Ticheli and Camphouse pieces gave us all chills. I came out of rehearsal wondering what I would do without music in my life. I really don't think I could live without organized sound to comfort and inspire me.
Seb and I talked for almost an hour after rehearsal. He wanted to know all about life: what has changed, where I've been, and where I want to go. We talked about my sections this year (altos in marching band, clarinets in concert band), where I want to take everyone, who I'm having difficulties with, general gossip and what have you. We talked about the concert band reportoire, including the Arts Festival pieces for May, and I was able to bring up the idea of me studying at the NEC. Concert band has been incredibly rewarding in the opportunities I have been given to evolve as a musician and performer. Yet, I can't help feeling stuck, stagnant even, when it comes to my musicianship. Now that I am soley involved in the bands program, I have time to study privately. And with Seb's help and recommendations, I am going to. To be honest, I am not too worried about paying for it or anything semantical right now. The sunrise is enough to sustain me.
Reality is coinciding with those Saved By The Bell: The College Years illusions of intellectual grandeur:
I am living up suite life.
I'm studying subjects which interest me under the guidance of respectable, accomplished individuals.
Yeah, that's me arguing politics with friends in Starbucks.
It's all very new and comfortable at the same time.
Tonight was our first concert band rehearsal. We are up to almost 70 members now, which is quite a change from freshman year. It's exciting, holding influence in a group that is evolving, improving. Even though the majority of us were sight reading, the Ticheli and Camphouse pieces gave us all chills. I came out of rehearsal wondering what I would do without music in my life. I really don't think I could live without organized sound to comfort and inspire me.
Seb and I talked for almost an hour after rehearsal. He wanted to know all about life: what has changed, where I've been, and where I want to go. We talked about my sections this year (altos in marching band, clarinets in concert band), where I want to take everyone, who I'm having difficulties with, general gossip and what have you. We talked about the concert band reportoire, including the Arts Festival pieces for May, and I was able to bring up the idea of me studying at the NEC. Concert band has been incredibly rewarding in the opportunities I have been given to evolve as a musician and performer. Yet, I can't help feeling stuck, stagnant even, when it comes to my musicianship. Now that I am soley involved in the bands program, I have time to study privately. And with Seb's help and recommendations, I am going to. To be honest, I am not too worried about paying for it or anything semantical right now. The sunrise is enough to sustain me.
lasaliente, 23:56


