salience

January 23, 2004

So a couple of days ago, if you had asked me, I never would have said I would want to intern in Boston this summer. It doesn't appeal to me for many reasons: being away from family, being away from friends, living costs, etc. And then I heard about an internship, where if accepted, interns run their own business. Build it from nothing, market services, hire employees, teach employees, pay employees, et al. The program tells you what your service will be, provides you with the money (the intern isn't allowed to invest any of her own money), the contacts for supplies, workers' insurance, mentors who've been successful in the program previously, et al. But I would have to stay in Boston, and I would need a car. The program is called College Works Painting. Price Waterhouse Coopers recruits directly from program alumni. In other words, it is realistic to be contracted with PWC prior to the start of senior year.

My first interview with the recruiter went well. The young woman was impressed with my resume and asked me for a second interview with the chief financial investor for the MA division, a millionaire, 2003 BU graduate, 23 years old. So I put together a folder of my resume, the program application and my questions I had of the program, standard, and interviewed. Not only did it go well, but Jason Brown considers me engaging as well as promising, and wants me to skip the third interview entirely and go straight to the final round.

This is good news, right? Flattering, yes. Good? I'm not so sure.

You see, not only do I need a car, but this job would start next month. The training of all new managers (read: interns) starts early so kids can have as much time as they need for planning and coming up with marketing strategies. Painting houses is a very simple task, but that is not the point. It is only the vehicle for real world experience. I need a car because there is no office. Managers are constantly on the move: recruiting new work and overseeing current projects, all the while reporting to the program directors.

The program is something out of a dream: no office, desk job. But a stack of cash I am to manipulate.

As much as I want to be able to say this internship belongs to me, my first instinct, there is a lot of up front cost I am going to have to swallow. I will not be able to live on campus during the summer and will have to sublet an apartment with parking. I will have to pay the outrageous gas prices and deal with Boston traffic.

Can I figure out all of the logistics and go into this "4th" interview saying, hire me because I can do this?
lasaliente, 22:23

0 Comments:

Add a comment