salience

May 17, 2005

From the water la ciudad had long since been postcard illuminated, and with my window down, I sang along to NYC. It's surreal, knowing the city will be my city soon. And as I crossed the Triborough Bridge to begin my trek back to Boston, "New York Cares" reminded me that mi sueno is really, in fact, mi vida.

Es algo que he pensando sobre mucho, as of late. Making your reality your dreams, and so on. I think what we all can carry away from this BC experience is needing to be who you are when you're alone around others. It's a scary and genuinely frightening undertaking, but it's one of those lessons we must learn. It's like apreniendo como to tie your shoes: you can vow to live in flips or you can be ready to run in those tennis shoes at a moment's notice. Even if we fumble through the knots those first times, and ocassionally thereafter, at least we know we can do it. There are frustrations, and people can be hurt easily. But getting through that hurt, and acknowledging that we all look inward when we're in pain is the hardest challenge. Ultimately, whether we wanted to be or not, we were a community.

It's been a year. Since I first lived a summer away from "home." Since I took on a leadership internship. Since I was named 2004 BCMB Drum Major. Since Alex became mi koalito. Since a lot of things...

But, what I'm most happy to say is, it's been a year.

Happy 50th Birthday, Mom.
lasaliente, 15:35

0 Comments:

Add a comment