salience

September 7, 2007

Is this thing on? Time for a much needed update yall, I feel like my life is passing too quickly and if I don't hurry to jot a few things down, I'll miss what's to come. My heart is just too full at the moment.

Now then, hard to believe it's been over two months since I've sat down to just write. Life is very quick these days - and I'm tired, but content. Happy. Work is still full steam ahead, what with market happenings, corrections and anticipations. Carried interest bonuses hit and I am still on cloud nine. Getting recognized for dedication and aptitude is nothing short of fulfilling. VYK Global Inc's first venture, Marching Band Enthusiast, is finally up and running (visit! ). How does it feel to be a 24 year old small business owner? Awesome! And exhausting. So if you're in need of an instrument, or know of any director who is looking to outfit his program, please do pass along my site! In other news, I did not pass the CFA I. There are those who say it's not about your ranking, but in finishing the race what you gain the most reward. And I do appreciate being congratulated upon sitting for the entire exam; however, I still am not any closer to obtaining the designation. Onwards to 1 December for the re-take!

Summer has continued, and now ended, with traveling and visitors. In July I made my way back down to DC to visit Shell. It was part belated 24th birthday gift to her, part reunion. I was able to spend time with her and her family, the craziest part being talking to her brother Mikey about his upcoming matriculation to Case Western. It was hard at times too, her still living at home and her family unit being so traditionally perfect. It served to reinforce my distate for a divorced family. (But you only have one, right? So might as well make do with what you have.) I also got to meet Jeff, her first truly serious boyfriend, of just over a year. Plus I got to meet her coche. We hung out in DC and Georgetown, and I was even treated to a behind the scenes tour of the Smithsonian (apologies Shell, I can't remember the name of your exact building). Plus she met Ryan, which could have gone better, but more on that later. The weekend after that, Kelly and Flora came down for a visit. We hung out in Manhattan and Pelham Bay and I took them to a party Vito was throwing in Astoria. It was great to see them again. I do love living on my own, but for a few days it was like we were back at 617 90 St. Thomas Moore or Mod 18A at BC.

After that it was off to CA, specifially Los Angeles. I had been planning this trip since before last Christmas, so it was very surreal that it was finally time to head west. I was able to get upgraded to a "Club Level" room at the Milennium Biltmore hotel in downtown (remember the pool in Cruel Intentions? Yeah, that's the place). Very old world. Where JFK had his presidential headquarters, also were the very first academy awards were held. It was like stepping back in time, walking through the lobby/halls of that place. I loved it. The upgrade was only after checking into a standard room with a sink and faucet in pieces - apparently some repair work was still being done. And check-in was after spending an extra hour at LAX to file my claim for lost luggage, after almost missing my flight that morning due to torrential downpours and 6 tornadoes sighted in nyc. I sat on the highway, usually with my ignition completely off, for three hours. I called the airline to see what my options were should I miss my flight and was told there was only one other flight open at 11PM that night for a fare increase of $900. Needless to say, I was very relieved to make it to JFK for my delayed flight just as last call was being announced.

Ryan, my old VA friend, was able to meet me out there. Granted, he had just been in LA for a blowout the site he helps run was throwing, after which he proceeded to immediately drive up to see me upon his return to the east coast. We drove everywhere: Hollywood Blvd, Venice Beach, Santa Monica, Pasadena. We were even able to meet up with his friends one night in Santa Monica, which turned out to be a great time. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up moving out there in a couple of years. Not LA proper, but I can definitely see myself enjoying Santa Monica. It's such a beautiful place and the overall feel is just so much more relaxed and carefree than nyc. Here, every little detail is a huge ordeal and on the west coast, folks are happy to just go with the flow.

What else? We went to the World Premiere of Eric Whitacre's opera, "Paradise Lost." As expected, it completely blew me away. It's an electronica, new age piece he'd been working on for years. His wife was the lead soprano. What a gorgeous, clear voice she has. It was held in a tiny, half moon theater (The Boston Court in Pasadena) and the cast was performing in the aisles of the audience often. The beats were blasted from an iMac in the balcony, flanked on the curve by taiko drummers and a cellist. There were anime sequences flashed on corner screens and a lot of martial arts-y sequences. Afterwards I ran outside to be the first to shake Whitacre's hand. (Prior to the start, the Director of Programs came out and mentioned Whitacre would be in the lobby after the show. I almost vomited out of anticipation right there. I have loved this man's chord progressions since I was 14!!) David Norona (his lyricist) was with him. And I can't even remember what I said exactly, something along the lines of "I came all the way from New York just to see you," and when he asked if that really was true, I muttered something as coming to LA on a vacation of sorts. He laughed saying, "Well I was going to be flattered, but now nevermind!" Later, Ryan would say Whitacre's eyes were lusting, and I can't deny part of me wanted that to be true. Not because I would ever act upon it, but who doesn't want the attention of someone they admire so greatly? As I turned to leave, just as the others in the audience began lining up behind me, he asked me to sign his guestbook. I did so as calmy as possible before trying not to run out the doors of the place screaming. I held it together until we were in the car, and Ryan said, "You know, for you just meeting someone you adore so much, you're very calm." And I said I wasn't sure what would happen if I let all of the emotion out. But then I did. Was screaming yall. "I JUST MET ERIC WHITACRE! ME! MET ERIC. ERIC WHITACRE! I MET ERIC WHITACRE TONIGHT!" We got lost trying to leave Pasadena and stopped for food, where I proceeded to text Carmelita obsessively, as she shares the same Whitacre infatuation. She wanted to know how he sounded, how he looked, how was his handshake? Did I profess my undying love right then and there? Throughout the rest of the evening and the trip, I would randomly sing to myself, "I just met Eric Whitacre, Eric Whitacre!" I honestly didn't think I'd ever get the chance!

The next day it was back to Pasadena for the DCI World Championships. Not only had I wanted to go and see the event live after watching it on ESPN/PBS for so many, many years, I had also tentatively set up with meet with the Director of Business Development at DCI to talk VYK. Shell had helped me put together an ad for the tour program. Nothing elaborate, just something to get my business on DCI's radar. It came out looking great, and I was finally able to meet John DeNovi after each Division A Corps had performed. We talked options for the 2008 season and I'm really excited. To quote Mel Brooks, "It's good to be the king." John really helped me out, VYK is small potatoes compared to the Yamaha's and the Zildjian's. To say I've been lucky would be an understatement. And to top it off, Blue Devils were great, Vanguard was impressive, as were the Cavaliers. Can't say I'm surprised my Blue Devils won the whole thing though. :) All in all a great, nerdy trip. And I honestly didn't want to come back east.

Now then onto Ryan. He is almost 25, in his second year of UVA's PhD program in Stats. We knew each other from taking martial arts at the same studio for a few years back when my family lived in Woodbridge, VA when el papa was stationed at the Pentagon. Ryan's dad did all of the photography for the Dojo. He came up here in July for a few days on a whim after his first trip to LA for a reunion, as I've said before (see previous post). We'd always wanted to get together and just hadn't for some reason or another. I last saw him when I visited Erin back in 1998, my old friend from Elementary school.
The meeting with him and Shell did not go so well when I first went down to DC. She is very protective and wary in general, so she was definitely not forthcoming. I then went to a wedding with him in NoVa (Northern Virginia for those not in the know) after CA. Later that weekend we went horseback riding at his uncle's farm in Culpeper and then airsoft-ing (think military style paint ball, with more realistic weapons) that evening with two of his friends. Ryan's uncle's farm is beautiful, lots of trees and trails. And his horses! Truly beautiful, I hadn't been riding (properly) in a long, long time. Nothing quite like it, I have to say. And not to brag or anything, but I was next to last and then tied for last for two games of Sniper. :) I still have the ROTC skills after all yall!! The facility was a warehouse of sorts with different partitions and air vents built out. For most games, everyone who played was divided into two teams, at most I'd say there were 24 or so folks playing. I didn't get beat up too bad, I borrowed gear/gun from Ryan and his friend. Although Ryan did end up shooting me in the face twice. And I got shot in the hand a few times, as well as the back. Wouldn't have been bad if my skin hadn't been exposed. Funny how we actually got more torn up from riding horses (tennis shoes, not the best idea as they leave ankles bear in the saddle). Luckily I had Ryan's gear on. I think my favorite part was the Marine on my team getting in my face after the last game we played. All throughout Ryan and I were on opposite teams, but the Marine and I would always pace the lanes together. I kept checking in with him on the final play (a money gathering deal), and once our team won, he yells, "It figures the money carrier would be your boyfriend, huh?!" I guess that makes no sense out of context, but I thought it hilarious. The look on his face, he was so exasperated!! Shell ended up coming out to Manassas (where his parents are) to see me later, and that could have gone better too. Let's just say Manassas is not close to Springfield (where Shell's parents are) and maps can be confusing and she may have gotten lost. Let's see, after that he drove me back up to nyc and stayed for a bit. I actually spent this past Labor Day visiting Ryan at UVA. And just in case you've never been to Charlottesville, it is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. But the campus is beautiful; where he lives, each room is a single and has its own rocking chair and fireplace. It is very Southern Plantation, and a welcome break from the city. I took Sphinx with me and he seemed to like it just fine, despite the weather. Sphinx and Ryan are the best of friends, which I think is adorable. Sphinx will cuddle right up to him. I got to meet his friends, and hang out on "The Range," which is what his area of the "grounds" are called ("campus" apparently is incorrect). It almost felt like summer camp, sitting on their communal porch, just talking and having a good time. It was nice and quiet, it could easily feel like home. I also met Ryan's folks again, the first being when I went down for the wedding, and we had a great time in the historic downtown area. Things are very easy with him, it all flows very naturally for me. I'm not sure if it's knowing him for so long that he's so familiar or what, but it's really nice to finally be happy.

Pictures soon mi gente, I promise...
lasaliente, 23:42

0 Comments:

Add a comment